Tesshu, as a young student of Zen, visited one master after another. He called upon Dokuon of Shokoku.
Desiring to show his attainment, he said, “The mind, Buddha, and sentient beings, after all, do not exist. The true nature of phenomena is emptiness. There is no realization, no delusion, no sage, no mediocrity. There is no giving and nothing to be received.”
Dokuon, who was smoking quietly, said nothing. Suddenly he whacked Tesshu with his bamboo pipe. This made the youth quite angry.
“If nothing exists,” inquired Dokuon, “where did this anger come from?”
What don’t you yet “know” about your process? What we don’t “know” keeps us from “full awareness,” from being wholly present to Presence. Usually we cannot see the process we are in from within it; having a mirror is of great assistance. A Socratic email class is the perfect way to discover what we’ve not yet seen for ourselves.
If you are ready for an alchemy of seeing around a particularly sticky content area in your life, a process you can’t get past, or a pattern of suffering you need assistance to see through, sign up for this Socratic Email Class with Cheri.
This class begins before a pivotal event in the history of the United States and is an opportunity to be in a guidance conversation and a practice context as the implications of that event unfold.
This is how the class will work:
- You select the focus of your practice for the duration of the class. We will not send assignments as in traditional email classes.
- Each person will have 6 interactions with Cheri.
- You report on your process via a web-based form.
- Cheri will offer guidance and point you in a direction to look.
- You will have 4 days to be with the guidance before responding with what you are seeing about that guidance. You send in what you’ve seen and Cheri will respond with where to look next. You will have another 4 days to practice with that, and so on.
- We will email you a schedule of submission dates.
- You will be responsible for tracking your own submissions and keeping the timelines of submission and response.
- Your submission will not be anonymous to Cheri, but all submissions and responses will be anonymously posted for everyone in the class.
Participation is limited.